What is a domain name?
A domain name is a unique name that identifies an Internet site. An Internet domain name is a one-of-a-kind web address that you can purchase for your organization through Gempack Dot Ke .
A domain name takes the form, example.co.ke. After registering a domain name you can use it for various purposes. For instance, you can have a website whose address would be www.example.co.ke. You can also get email addresses at this domain. You choose what email addresses you would like. For instance, it can be email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and so on.
Why should I register my dot co.ke domain name?
You may have a domain name in another extension for instance dot .com. If you are transacting business in Kenya, it would be advisable to register your dot co.ke company’s name or brand name to prevent any other person or organization registering it. This prevents another entity masquerading on the web as the genuine article and situations whereby you would have to buy the domain name probably for an exorbitant price.
- How soon can I have my co.ke domain name?
- Registration is done as soon as you pay for it and it activates within a maximum of 3 hours.
- Do I need a credit card to pay for my domain?
- You do not need a credit card to pay for your domain. You can pay by cash or cheque.
- What are the benefits of having my own domain name?
A domain name gives you exclusivity
Without your own domain, you don’t have much of a choice. Your email and web addresses will generally be based upon the name of your host or Internet service provider, such as username@ymy-ISP-provider.co.ke and http://www.my-ISP-provider.co.ke/username/ By having your own domain name is like owning your own virtual real estate. Such exclusivity can help build name recognition for you and your company.
A domain name helps to promote your organization and brand name You can promote your website instead of someone else’s when you’re sending emails as your domain name will be in the email address, for example, firstname.lastname@example.org is helping to promote my company.co.ke while mycompany@my-ISP-provider.co.ke is helping to promote and brand my-ISP-provider.co.ke
Gives your business or organization credibility
As the saying goes, “You never get a second chance to make a first impression,” and in business, first impressions count. Having your own domain name projects a professional image of you and your company, normally associated with large companies. It tends to say to others that you’re a serious business person, operating an established business, in a professional manner. A company with a free email address such as email@example.com for business purposes projects an image of not being serious and makes the recipient of email doubtful as to the authenticity of the company.
Gives your website and emails mobility
If you set up a website without owning your own domain name, you end up using the domain name of your web host by default, http://www.my-ISP-provider.co.ke/username. Such a web address is not mobile; you can’t take it with you if you ever switch to another web host. But ownership of your own domain name gives you the option of moving your website to another host without losing your web address.
What kinds of domain names are there?
- There are country specific names such as
- Company.co.ke – Kenya
- Company.co.uk- United Kingdom
- Company.co.ug- Uganda
- Company.co.jp – Japan
- Company.co.za – South Africa
- General domain names are usually found with the suffix dot.com, dot.net, and dot.org.
- Company.com – Commercial Entity
- Company.net – Network Entity
- Company.org – a Non-Profit organization
- Company.biz – Business Entity
These domain names are general and do not communicate what country or region the organization is based.
In Kenya, we have the following domain names available for registration specifically for organizations located in Kenya only.
- .co.ke – for Companies
- .or.ke – for Not-for-Profit-Making Organisations or NGO’s
- .ne.ke – for Network Devices
- .go.ke – for Government Entities. Requires Supporting Documents
- .ac.ke – for Institutions of Higher Educations. Requires Supporting Documents
- .sc.ke – for Lower and Middle Institutes of Learning. Requires Supporting Documents
- .me.ke – for Personal names
- .mobi.ke – for Mobile content
- .info.ke – for Information
Who can register a domain name?
Any individual, company, organization or entity can register a domain name. However, registration of Dot co.ke domains is only available to persons and organizations with a physical presence in Kenya.
What domain name can I register through Gempack Dot Ke?
You can register domains with any of the following extentions.
.me.ke | co.ke | or.ke | ac.ke | ne.ke | go.ke | .sc.ke | .mobi.ke | .info.ke | .com | .net | .org | .biz | .us | .info | .name |.co.uk | .co.ug